Floating wall shelf can be a great compliment to your wall mounted TV. Not only does it facilitate your AV components but you’ll also save precious floor space as well.
Find lots of floating wall shelf ideas with photos and helpful information on this page.
Benefits of Using Floating wall shelf
- Save precious space in small rooms especially in small condos
- Save floor space by placing components on a wall instead of on a stand on the floor
- People who have little kids can keep the AV components out of their children’s reach
Floating Media Wall Shelf Types
What's the difference between component wall shelf and regular wall shelf?
Component Wall Shelf
- Depth of the shelf (front to back) is enough to accommodate depth of most AV components.
- Component wall shelves have built-in wire management channel in the mounting bracket itself.
- Wires can pass through built-in wire management channel vertically up to your TV.
- Wire management channel has cable pass through opening at top & bottom
Regular Wall Shelf
- Regular wall shelves don’t have enough depth (front to back) for most AV components. Cable box or game consoles such as PS4 & XBOX won’t fit and will over-hang quite of bit
- Does not have any sort of wire management system whatsoever
- If cables need to pass through the shelf, it needs to be drilled through
Component Wall Shelf with Black Tempered Glass & Wire management metal bracket
Component wall shelf with black tempered glass comes with black colored metal bracket that looks like a spine serves 2 purposes;
- It’s a mounting bracket for the wall shelf
- It’s also a wire management channel for cables to run up to the TV such as HDMI cables
Hence, it should be installed closely underneath or above the TV in order to neatly run wires from AV components to the TV.
Floating Media Console Buying Guide
It is very important to know the mounting mechanism when shopping for a floating media console (wall mountable cabinet / furniture). Because the media console furniture itself is quite heavy to begin with and you will be using it to place AV components such as cable box, gaming console, sound bar & etc… And you might also place other items on the shelf just for decoration purposes as well.
Therefore, it is crucial to find a floating media console that comes with a mounting bracket that can securely hold the weight of the media console itself as well as other items that you’ll place inside or on top of the shelf.
As an example, you can purchase this Floating Media Console on Amazon with rail type mounting bracket.
"Rail" type of mounting bracket is highly recommended!
Rail type mounting bracket allows you to mount onto multiple studs for maximum holding capacity.
Avoid purchasing a floating media console that comes with 2 small little brackets that are designed to hold only left & right side of the shelf. Because there’s very little chance that they’ll line up with the studs in the wall.
Floating media console with doors will allow you to hide unsightly things such as power bar or surge protector and excess cords from your components so it’s nice and neat when doors are shut.
You can even install the “power in-let” portion of Bridge-Style Power Kit inside the floating media cabinet if you need a power outlet behind your wall mounted TV.