TVs are getting slimmer for less prices than ever before with advancement of nano-technology. A wall-mounted TV is a popular choice for TV setup. It is compact and ideal for small Toronto homes where real estate is insanely expensive. Not only wall mounting your TV frees up valuable floor space, it can be easily placed at a comfortable viewing level. To install a wall-mounted TV without any trouble, here are some things you need to know.
1. Choosing the Best TV Location
The first thing to think about should be where the wall-mounted TV will be placed.
- In most cases, the best location for wall-mounting a TV is right across from the sofa in the living room or the bed in the bedroom.
- Pick a wall that does not get direct sunlight. Sunlight on the screen causes glare and makes it hard to watch TV during the day. If this is unavoidable, cover any windows that let in bright sunlight with blinds or curtains.
- Make sure there is a power outlet to plug in the wall-mounted TV.
2. Height of the Wall-Mounted TV
The height of the wall-mounted TV depends on factors like the TV size, the viewing distance and the viewer’s eye level.
- First, choose a TV screen size that’s suitable for optimal viewing distance. The size of the TV is determined by the diagonal measurement of the screen.
- The centre of the TV should be mounted at your eye-level to ensure comfortable viewing from the couch.
- If you want to watch TV from two different areas or directions, consider using a full-motion TV wall mount if the wall is suitable for it. Or choose a corner TV wall-mount for installation in the corner of the room.
3. Know the Limitations of Your Wall
- Make sure that your wall can support the weight of the wall-mounted TV. Not all walls are equal as there are limitations in certain types of walls. Especially, if you’re considering using a full-motion TV wall mount, you need to be extremely careful. Weak walls such as Drywall with Metal studs usually found in commercial buildings, condos & apartments cannot support full-motion TV wall mount installation if the TV is too heavy. Also, exterior plaster walls found in older homes and buildings are not suitable for full motion mounts for heavy TVs either. It’s crucial to seek professional help such as “TV Installation Service by Climax AV for help in installations in such environments.
- Some specialty TVs such as Samsung Frame TV and LG G3 Gallery Design TVs come with its own special mount and screws that can be used to wall-mount the TV. Alternatively, you can buy a separate wall mount, according to the TV’s specs such as VESA mounting pattern & Weight of the TV. You can learn more about (considering the wall type you are dealing with).
4. Concealed Wiring
Exposed TV cords will obviously look messy, so consider hiding the TV wiring using one of the following methods:
- Use Wire Raceway to cover the exposed wires with conduits that can be painted over. This is one of the most economical options, especially if you don’t have an electrical outlet available right behind where the TV will be wall mounted.
- Hiding low-voltage cables inside the wall can be possible as long as the wall is not brick, concrete or exterior plaster wall. However, your TV/Soundbar power cord(s) needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet behind the TV as power cords cannot be concealed inside a wall due to being against the building code. So, this option definitely requires having an electrical outlet behind the TV for completely concealed wiring.
- Design a wall cabinet, a built-in wall unit or wall panelling, using materials such as plywood or MDF, so that the TV wiring can be hidden within it.
5. Component Placement
If you have external components to connect to your TV such as big gaming consoles like PS5, XBOX or Blu-ray player or any other components, you’ll need a place to put those components. The most popular option is to use a credenza/TV media stand below the TV.
If you have a custom-built wall unit, make sure the cabinet has some sort of holes or opening for ventilation to prevent overheating of the electronic components. If no ventilation is available, you’ll need to add cabinet fan(s) for your components so they don’t overheat.
Did you encounter any problems while installing your wall-mounted TV? Contact “TV Installation Service by Climax AV” for professional installation.
We offer FREE-Estimate for TV wall mount installation & setup. TV installation service is our specialty. We provide exceptional TV mounting & wire concealment services in Toronto GTA.
Did you know? – We are your 1-stop-shop! As an authorized dealer of top TV brands such as Samsung, LG & Sony, we can provide and install everything you need without you lifting a finger!